Originally Posted by Salmonella
[Hunting bucks there in the hundered degree weather of July, August & September make things a tad more difficult than the photos may lead you to believe.
The lower two pics show the Trinity Alps in Northern California.
They compare in ruggedness to anything I've encountered in the Rocky mountains.
My brother in law was a smoke jumper from Missoula Montana.
He spent many miles in these California mountains with me and swore those Alps were some of the meanest mountains he'd ever encountered anywhere.

If you consider this "gentle" I really am a pusssy.

blush

[Linked Image]

As you can tell I'm razzing a bit with the pseudo blacktails and gentle terrain. blush I never could figure out why Califrnia has deer season in the hottest time of a hot country. I killed a buck one time in N. California when it was 108 degrees. That do add some degree of difficulty in steep brushy terrain.

Coastal mtn folks consider the Rockies to be relatively gentle terrain with open vegetation also. laugh (Now I'll have the Montana/Idaho Mountain States boys mad at me also!)

Will ditto that good blacktail hunters tend to do even better on mule deer. Ditto as well for those who can hunt Roosevelts in rain forest when they head east to Idaho or Montana: the ones I've hunted with are deer and elk killing machines in such open forest country. One of them said to me about the Rockies this past week: "You can SEE the ground on the opposite side of a canyon! You can WALK around under the trees!"

In your Trinty Alps photo, I can't tell how tall the brush is in the open portions out of the timber. It looks like you could glass animals on an opposite mountainside. Farther north we can only do that above timberline, or in some clearcuts.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/22/11.