Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by strawman
I recently replaced my Neoairs with the new Exped Synmat UL7. More comfortable than the Neoair (to me) and warmer too. After using it for over a month now, I'd guess the R value (3.1) of the Exped to be a little conservative. It's 2 oz heavier than the Neoair though.

I don't understand that. I can sleep on my side on a half-inflated Neoair and my hip is off the ground. I can hardly get enough air into an Exped to do that, and I weigh 170.

Hmmm...that's odd. With the Neoair I would also deflate it to get to a comfortable feel. With the Exped I just blow it all the way up and it's perfect. I never touch the ground with my hips and I'm just north of 200 pounds at the moment.

And that's why it's always best to actually try equipment and not just take someone else's word for it. What works for me and you won't necessarily work for someone else.

Another point on the Exped...it FEELS wider than a regular Neoair even though they're both 20" wide. I'm guessing it's the vertical baffles (as compared to the Neoair's horizontal baffles) that make it feel that way. But again, YMMV. I've read more than one review by Neoair users that feel completely the opposite.

Last edited by strawman; 06/02/11.