Yes, not only can there be tolerance stacking with the receiver mounting holes to the axis of the barrel, their can be tolerance stacking between the fit of the ring base to receiver top. The tolerances can stack up quickly to bind the mounting.

As a recent example, he took one of my out of the box new rifles and found that the factory scope mount holes were not in perfect alignment. He also took a brand new set of Talley LW ringmounts and found that they were not in perfect alignment. The two combined with a brand new out of the box gold rind LEU and only had approx 10% aligned surface contact period. Without any lapping, the cobination would bind badly. In this case, the mount holes were made straight, the ringmounts were made to perfectly fit the rifle, and the rings were lapped for a correctly aligned surface contact of the scope tube. When everything was mounted and torqued to spec, everything worked exactly as spec. Had I not at least lapped the combination, I would have stressed the scope tube and may have damaged it enought to cause a stiff power ring and poor tracking.

YMMV, but I've never seen a box stock production combination result in better than 60% alignment of the surface contact area. The worst combination I ever experienced was the most recent above, and that was using Talleys on a factory rifle.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/01/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood