I've owned several Mossberg 800s and have had a few 810s pass through my hands when I have bought collections to get a couple good firearms. I had the trigger assembly on an 800C, 22-250 sporter, soften and become distorted such that it was unsafe to use. At that time, mid-1990s, I was able to buy the replacement parts for GPC, fix the rifle, and send it down the road with words of warning to the new owner. I used that rifle a lot, as I lived out in the country and frequently shot coyotes and foxes on my way to and from work. I have also owned 7 or 8 of the mannlicher stocked 800Ms in 22-250, 243, and 308. The Mossberg 800s that I've shot have generally been capable of shooting good groups, but the triggers have worried me since mine melted and I figure that if it happened to me, it could happen to anybody.

IMO, there isn't any reason to owne a house-brand firearm unless it has some special meaning to the owner, or you can buy it dirt cheap, or it fills some niche that a collector is trying to check off his list or ???? The Mossberg 800/810 series haven't been made for 30+/- years, there don't appear to be many parts available, should a Mossberg 800/810 owner need them, and the Marlin X guns are so good that I sure wouldn't advise anybody to pick an old Mossberg if a new Marlin could be purchased for similar $$. Just relating what I've learned from actual experience. BTW, in over 40 years of hunting and shooting, I've never seen a Mossberg or house-brand Mossberg CF rifle in the field unless I was carrying it and have only seen them at the range when a local Mossberg collector was out shooting with his grand kids.

JEff