Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Grasshopper, if you don't mind a casual observation, don't get so wound up about it. I didn't see anyone challenging you or your knowledge. As the Buddhists would say, you're really identified with the #1. It's only a rifle.

Jim,

You are right, I definitely should not get so wound up about it... But if you ignore it, it just gets worse.

It's very frustrating trying to explain to someone WHY their idea is not feasible. Even when trying to explain it with simple logic... Because, in the end, they just respond: I want what I want. And I think it's a good idea... And the company should make what I want, even if only me and three other people in the whole world wants it...

The thing of it is, that when most of these folks who think that they have a edict from the oracle, really have only owned 1 or perhaps two #1's and more often than not, have NEVER owned one. And Further, don't even know the difference between a 1-A, a 1-B, and a 1-S.

In the case of the 26" bbl on a #1-A, Most of these folks that want one have never measured the muzzle and don't realize that one must allow at least .300" for safety purposes.

On an "A" weight barrel, my .25-06 is about .565" @ 24". And it tapers at the rate of about .015"/inch. Thus, if you subtract .030" (to make it 26") from the .565", you end up with .535". Now, say you want a 7mm hole in it! So, subract another ..284", That leaves only .251" Divide by two, because you have two sides on a barrel. That leaves only .1255" per side. That makes it pretty thin at the muzzle. Now imagine what would happen if you accidently dropped it on the muzzle. It might become dinged up and present an unsafe condition.

It's a pretty safe bet that Ruger or no other manufacturer wants to risk a lawsuit... Thus: Plain and simple; it's not likely to happen. Don't blame me, It's not my fault that these folks won't listen to reason...

Further: consider the fact that Ruger puts iron sights on the 1-A.... These are a wrap-around sight made to fit on a muzzle of a given diameter. These are made for use on the "A" weight 1-A, the "B" weight 1-S, the "C" and "D" weight barrels of the Tropical rifle. Does Ruger manufacture these sights themselves? I don't know, but from a manufacturers standpoint, likely they are out-sourced. Is it logical to believe that Ruger would NOT want to make yet another diameter sight just for a special run of 26" 1-A's? Again, from a manufacturer standpoint, I think NOT.

Again, to expect a manufacturer to cater to ones individual whims is unrealistic. We are extremely fortunate that Ruger makes as many variations as they do.

After all, it wasn't all that many years ago that Ruger made the 1-A in just three chamberings, the 1-B in eight, the 1-S in four, the 1-H in two, and the 1-V in three.... AND that's all there was... Just think of the many different variations we've had since! We should thank the Gods of the rifle looneys... smile

And another thing: Ruger does NOT have a Custom Shop. But if they did... ? What would a custom #1 cost? You can buy a standard Remmy 700 of what? $600... $700? And one out of their Custom Shop is $2800. For about half of $2800 you can build a Custom #1 in any chambering you can think of... But yet, how many folks on these forums do it? Myself and about three others... And everyone else who are merely internet keyboard experts... What are they?

Again, no one here has to subscribe to my simple logic... I invite them to call Ruger and ask... And then see what Ruger says... smile BTW their phone # is: (203) 259-7843

I rest my case...

GH

Addendum: Ruger #1's are made at their Newport, NH plant. PH# is: (603) 863-3300

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"