I will tell you all a personal Petzal story and you judge for yourself what kind of man he is.

Years ago, he and I were at a Weatherby seminar at the Buffalo Horn Ranch in Junction, Colorado. We were headed back to the airport in a large van full of other gunwriters and we all had tight flights. The van had a blow-out in a little town called Parachute, CO. It was a Sunday, and no place was open or us to call for help (this was before cell phones).

Eventually someone from the lodge got there with a spare, we all made it to the airport, but missed our flights.

Of course tensions were high. Petzal was in line in front of me trying to get re-booked. It wasn't going well and the guy at the counter was making it worse by calling Petzal "Buddy."

Petzal popped and said, "I'm not your buddy."

He got re-booked, and then it was my turn. I would not get out until the next day.

I had no money back in those days. No credit card and very little cash and was facing the likelihood of having to spend the night in the airport with no way of getting food.

Despite having just seen Petzal pop, he was the only one I knew there well enough to ask for money. "Dave, I hate to ask, but I'm traveling kind of light. Can I borrow some money?" I asked.
Petzal looked me in the eye and without saying a word pulled out his wallet, gave me a $20, turned and walked away before I could say "thank you."

When I got home, I immediately sent him a check for $25. He immediately sent it back saying it would be usury to take advantage of a fellow man in a tight spot.

It was about more five years before I ran into Petzal again. It was on the floor of a SHOT Show and I handed him a $20. He asked "What's this for?" "Repaying you for Parachute, CO" I replied.

He had forgotten.