Could be all the above AND a thousand other things...could be your shooting skills...could just be your brass...here's a prime example of a brass "proble".

[Linked Image]

The same case # 3 was always out of the group...not by much but ALWAYS in 4 targets.

FORGET about the first shot from a clean cold barrel...THAT shot is the anomoly, not the rest. Always foul the bore with a shot or two before working for groups....I've NEVER had a rifle, benchrester or not, that would put the first "clean bore" round in the same group as the following shots...I foul my hunting rifles prior to hunting season then leave the bore alone until I get my game or the season is over...I shoot at least 2 foulers after cleaning and before hunting in ALL my varminters and during load development.

The next thing to do is to number you brass with a sharpie and shoot them in that order AND record where the rounds hit...I use 3 rounds for group for hunting rifles...do 3-5targets then compare them. If ONE case is the oddball it will ALWAYS be out of the group and usually by the same amount IF the load is consistent. This is not uncommon but most people don't have a clue about the happening or really care for hunting accuracy.

ONCE you have established what is going on with your brass, THEN you can go back and start at the beginning to "retune" your rifle system. I usually start with the bedding, I use pillars or a bedding block in ALL my rifles no matter what caliber...I do another "skin" coat...make sure the barrel is floating, retorque the action screws, make sure the bolt or bolt handle isn't touching the barrel face or ANY part of the stock...sides OR bottom of the handle cutout...make sure the scope mounts and rings screws are tight and sometimes I swap in another scope just to check.

Your ammo needs to be consistent also...weight sorted, primer pockets and flashholes trued and deburred, trimmed and neckturned is it is out by more than about 0.002"(for minute of deer), for a varminter you need it much closer.

If the rifle isn't tuned up you're just wasting money on components...depending on WHAT level of accuracy you require...for a 2 MOA rifle, factory ammo and right out of the box accuracy is usually plenty good...for long range sageratz beyond 300 yds, you need a <.5 MOA or better which means lots of work in the tuneup.

Luck