Originally Posted by ratsmacker
SOME Gold Cups had lightened slides, others did not. A buddy of mine bought a '70 Series GC that had a lightened slide, mine emphatically did NOT, nor did most of the latter ones, I suspect.

There was a funny-looking hemispherical cut to take out some of the metal in the rear of the slide, just under the firing pin tunnel. I cannot recall, now, if it exposed the FP or not.
Mine was different, it looked exactly like the regular pistol's interior. It's been quite a while since I've seen Kent's pistol, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details, now.

After owning mine, I came to the conclusion that the Gold Cup NM gibberish was just a way to bilk more money out of the buyers. Mine didn't shoot any better than the Government Model I had, and only marginally better than the Commander. And, the parts were more fragile, it frequently broke the front pin holding the Elliason sight, and finally tossed off the front sight and broke the collet bushing, too.
I got rid of it, and used the money to build up the Government Model, a gun that is STILL running hot, hard and strong.

Colts Lack of consistancy has been consistant...LOL.....I have had 2 guns SSGC's less than 200 apart in Ser #s and one was lightened one was not....ordered them both from a dist. at the same time for a customer...I was shocked to say the least...he wanted two completely matching guns and was ticked off.....

James Dunn

[email protected]