Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Brad
Jeff, I've had both the 2.5-8x36 and 3.5-10x40... they're both excellent scopes. Really, I think two of the very best all-around scopes Leupold makes.

The 3.5-10x40 is probably my favorite Leupold scope, but I tend to pick scopes based on how they balance on a rifle, both size-wise, and weight-wise. I'd go 3.5-10x40 on the 8400 WSM and 2.5-8x36 on the 700 7-08, but there's no "right" answer... BTW, the 3.5-10x40 is 2oz's heavier than the 2.5-8x36.

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I'm in the same dillema as JeffO was a while back. I like Brad's answer here as some people are saying the 3.5-10x40 is too "Bulky" and I don't really see the logic. It is 1 inch longer and 2 ounces heavier. Does it really have that much of and adverse effect on a rifle. Does your rifle want to twist out of your hands as you try to shoulder it. Come on guys. I just bought one for my EW and now I think I'll buy another one for my pre 64 fwt 30-06. Both will have the CDS which looks like a good thing to me. I know jeff went to the 2.5-8x36 and has had a few tracking problems with that scope, so in retrospect it may look like the CDS may have been the better option. Would like to hear JeffO's response to this to see if he thinks he made the right choice.

The weight and dimensions you highlight may not seem much, I firmly like the 2.5x8 much more because of the feel of the rifle more than the specific magnification. In fact, I like the 1.75x6 even better for the same reason (have the latter on my favorite rifle of all time, happens to be a 300 Win Mag).

That's because they arn't much. Goes to show you there's a reason they make differnet scopes for differnet folks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA