Originally Posted by Royce
Marinehawk
The problem with the above 30 calibers, as I gather from reading stuff from guys that guide for bears year in and year out, is that MANY people people that show up with them FLINCH with them, resulting in some poorly placed shots.

Fred

I know. And maybe it's a legitimate concern for a small number of people, but I personally think it's over-emphasized. I used to flinch 25 years ago when I bought and shot my first 300 Win Mag. A few months later, I had cured it by a lot of practice and focus. 18-months ago, when I first shot my .375 Wby, I did flinch a bit. 260-rounds later: zero finch.

IMO, if a person is going to hunt something like brown bears, he should prepare himself mentally to not to be unnerved too much by something like a charging brown bear. If someone can and should do that, he likely also can learn to not flinch when merely facing the recoil of something like a .338 or .375. It just takes practice and focus. There may be exceptions to this, but I think their over-stated. Also, while a person may flinch while bench shooting, I may be wrong, but I simply cannot imagine a person flinching when shooting a prized game animal, especially something like a brown bear.