A buddy of mine just picked up a used 336C in 35 Rem. He brought it over to show me and get some tips on cleaning and maintainance. He decided to try hunting for the first time (at 28) and this is the first rifle he has ever owned.

He told me "It seems to be in pretty good shape and I wanted a lever action because I remember my dad having one" well, when he got here, I was drooling.....The metal retains about 95% of the origional blueing, The walnut stock has been tastefully refinished with a hand-rubbed oil finish (as near as I can tell), It has a very old fixed 4 power scope in some crazy looking weaver mounts that I have never even seen before and even the sling swivels are like a relic....They are a piece of metal with a slot in it held on with 2 screws. The actual sling loop is pushed in and turned under spring pressure until it aligns and clicks.

I noticed that the serial number was on the bottom tang under the back of the lever which seemed odd to me. It has a "L" prefix to the serial number and when I looked it up it came back to 1954. Except for the stock refinish, this thing don't even look like it is 10 years old.

I asked him what it cost him.......He says "250 bucks" I offered him 400 on the spot but he won't sell. LOL

OK, after all of that, my questions are: Does anyone know how many .35's were produced in '54........And what do you think the rifle would actually be worth with the refinished stock but in otherwise near perfect condition with all the vintage parts?

Don't let the name fool Ya!