Originally Posted by Rustin
Newbie here, but not to the forum worlds.

Well here are my questions. I searched and found multiple good and bad, but not everything I need. So here it goes;

I would like to find an inline for next season, now I mean I'll be likely to buy after this Christmas. We have mule deer, elk, moose, bear, well I'm in Utah so there. Anyway, most of the land I hunt is mountainous and draws with a hint of buck brush oak. Long range is a must, as well as good close action so really what I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. Some of my long range shoots have been at 800 yards, and brush to 50 feet. Now I know 800 yards is out of the question, but even a good 400 yards would be nice. I usually only go for the mulies and elk.

Now here's the kicker; I have a bad right shoulder so I can't take the kick, and from what I've seen I am going to have trouble loading because of the pushing of the ram rod. So any thing out there will help in that area please advise me.

Recoil is really up to you-- after all, you're the fellow that decides what load into your frontstuffer. If recoil is a serious issue, get an Evoshield recoil shirt. They are outstanding.

The "400 yard" thinking isn't particularly realistic. But that also is up to you. If you can put your shot into a 4 inch circle under hunting conditions without fail at 100 yards, that's your effective range. If you can do it at 600 yards, then that's your range as well. Animal movement, wind drift, and the long time of flight associated with large diameter projectiles doesn't make that greatly appealing. How far do you shoot a .45-70 or a .444 Marlin? All up to you.

Hunting coffee cans is the better idea. No limit, no tags needed, etc. No one HAS to take a 300 yard shot, much less a 400 yard shot. It is a matter of judgement. How far have you shot muzzleloaders?

--Randy