Mule deer, thanks for that post. Several years ago there was an article in Handloader or Precision Shooting, that showed that increasing case capacity, did not necessarily increase velocity, because you now had to put MORE powder in it to get back to the initial velocity. Also, some rounds, like the 270 and 25/06, already over bore and all the available case capacity can't be used as it is. Even Ackley himself said this in his book Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders. Back in 1968, when on my honeymoon, I stopped in Viola and visited Rocky Gibbs, and when I left had enough doubts about claims on the velocity increases, to not want one. I have several Gibbs cartridges here for display, but can't see going to all the problem of making them up (he had a hydraulic system he advised using), when if you wanted more speed, go to the next larger round. About 6 years back there was a real comprehensive article in Precision Shooting on the Ackley cartridges too, and maybe 10% achieved enough additional velocity increase to be worth it, and then you had to say, why get a 30/30AI, when you can just go to the 308?

Again, thanks for the post.

Ghost