Was calling elk while bow hunting. I used a distressed cow and calf combination to try and get some cows to come to help. Sometimes they do that and a the bull follows. This time it was a 350 or so pound chocolate brown colored black bear. He came in at a fast trot because I'd just rung the dinner bell.

When he came into view I'd just called it quits on the setup and put away my arrow. My partner had one ready on his bow but to be honest I don't trust his archery skills...one reason I no longer hunt with him.

The bear stopped at 20 yards when we started yelling at him and barking like dogs (which only works in states that allow hound hunting). He looked plenty confused. He couldn't see us because we were in full camo, makeup and all and in the deep shadows. Good for killing elk but not so cool if you want to be recognized as a non-food item. He left. I wasn't really scared. I'm probably too dumb to be afraid of stuff like that. I was just irritated that Oregon charged so much for a non-resident bear tag which is why I didn't have one.

[Linked Image]