Here is what I do in the south where a clearcut will grow tall/thick enough in 2 years or 3 at the most that you can't really see thru it or into it from a stand.

I like to get in about 15-20 yards and take a loping shear and cut me a tunnel thru the greenbriar, honeysuckle, blackberry and whatever else is growing about 4 feet tall and about 30 yards long paralell to the side I believe the deer are exiting.

Sit on one end and be ready. I was taught this by a guy who only was referred to as Jungle George and I've found it to be highly effective.

Deer leaving the cutover will stop in that little opening just long enough to shoot. Cutovers adjacent to water has been my best bet as a couple of year cutover down here provides cover and tons of food. If you are someone who has to be entertained by seeing lots of land, deer, etc...it's not that great. It's good for picking up good bucks I have found. The little tunnels make handy spots for putting out a camera as well to get an idea of which ones are being productive.

Now if you are talking about cutovers that are cleared and you can see across I don't have any suggestions, I normally avoid those areas, and most of them around here normally have s shooting box on legs in them - all conveniently at least 400 yards or more from the nearest treeline, stream or any other cover smile

Last edited by NathanL; 11/12/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.