Back in 1988 I had drawn a Moose tag in a unit north of West Yellowstone, Montana. My ex-wife and I packed a camp about 5 miles into the Wilderness with our horses.

It was evening when we got to our camp site. Just before the trip I had honed the edge on a short handled double bit axe. I was using that axe to cut the limbs off a lodgepole pine that I was going to use for a ridgepole for my wall tent.

The axe glanced off the pole and went into my right foot. The axe blade put a 3" slice through the instep of my brand new White Logger boot, then into my foot and stopped when it hit a bone.

It was almost dark and we were 2-3 hours by horse from my truck and then another hour or so to town.

My sock was already ruined from the cut, so I further cut it into bandages, covered the wound with one and held it in place with an elastic wrap (like an Ace bandage) that I carried in case I would have to bandage a cut on a horse's leg. Then I finished setting up our camp.

With a 3" cut in the instep of my White boots, they weren't any good to walk in, but I had brought in a pair of tennis shoes for camp shoes. I continued hunting the next 2 days in the tennis shoes.

After that accident, I think that I was lucky that I didn't shoot a moose that trip.

Several weeks later (and after Schnees had patched my boot) I went in by myself with my horses and goldern retreiver and packed a camp into another drainage in that unit, and shot Bullwinkle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member