I shot one of my older 99's for the first time yesterday. It is a .303, straight stock, 10,xxx serial number. Shot very accurately at 50 yards using the iron sights. Upon ejecting the spent brass, I noticed the primers were backed-out just a bit. There was not any "crater" around the primer where the firing pin hit, just a priimer that protruded a little. The primers were obviously fine when inspected prior to shooting. Cartritges were from Old Western Scrounger. Again, they shot very accurately. Regardless of having a hot load or not, from what I understand the primer backing-out is a sign of excessive head-space.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I like to use my rifles, especially the old ones. Should I just keep using as is, or can this be a problem. If it is a safety issue, how can I correct excessive head-space? Obviously, the rifle is a solid-frame and not a take down.

Also, I have a .22 Hi-Power that is really nice. Shot it for first time on the same day (I have made efforts to have some fun after working too much for the last 20 years). Accuracy was poor using Sellior and Belloit ammo. Doubt I could hit a pie-plate at 50 yards more than 2 out of 3 times. The .303 was all within a door-knob size at same distance. Both with iron sights. Question is, are 22 hi-powers known to be this inaccurate using todays ammo?

Thanks for all your input!