Pretty much an "each to their own", but shootability of what one chooses, is important no matter what,,,,then bullet selection!!! In my younger days, I read and dreamed of certain magnums as well. Thought with the .300 Win Mag. 7mm Rem Mag. and .264 Win Mag's, most anything was possible with one. Never bought either however, I just kept with the .30-06. And to this day is still the fastest biggame cartridge I hunt with. A few others are slower, in the 23-2600 fps range, with middle to heavy weight's for caliber. Still the .30-06 with a 180 gr. NPT is my go to for most. If that is more than I think needed, a 7mm driving a 150 gr. NPT at 2600 fps suits me fine.
For me, it became more about just being out there, pitting my skills against the animals instincts. Getting close as possible is where the fun and challenge is for me. Yes, I have to pass sometimes, and yes I don't always fill my tag. I guess if it was a matter of putting meat in the freezer for survival, it might be another matter. But I like working in close, just cuz I know I can. And if it don't work out,,,,well, that's hunt'n!

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.