I developed a good deer load for my 7 WSM using 140 Accubonds over H 4831 for right at 3200 ft/sec. It shot well and based on my limited past history with the Accubond, I had high expectations..........

I took the rifle to PA last week for the deer opener. I decided to shoot a few does about mid-week to test the Accubond. Doe #1 was about 125 yards, standing quartering to me. I held on the shoulder and she went down, ran 20 yards and cashed in. It turns out she was quartering to me more than I figred and I hit her on the point of the shoulder. The damage was tremendous. The entry was 3" in diameter and her leg was literally held by 2 strips of hide. Near shoulder was destroyed and I noticed no exit. Upon skinning there was no exit or evidence of bullet penetration into the far ribcage. Thought it a fluke.

Doe #2 was a large mature doe I shot at 60 yards standing dead broadside. Bullet entered high on the shoulder. She dropped at the shot. I found no exit on her either but the entry was "normal". I skinned her later and found no exit but evidence that the bullet entered the far shoulder but did not break anything. The bullet apparently was lost during gutting. Internal damage was immense with 3-4" of spine mashed.

I didn't take pictures of either deer but wished I had. I'm thinking the Accubond isn't a high speed bullet but does work well at velocities less than 3000 - based on my observations with 30 cal 180 Accubonds.

Anyone else have any expereinces with the 7mm 140 Accubond?

As another anecdotal story, I loaded some 150 gr Sierras for my 280 Rem over a moderate dose of H4831. My buddy shot another doe last week with that combo at 50 yards. He tucked it into the pocket behind the shoulder. The deer ran 30 yards and died. No bullet exit but alot of internal damage. I'm guessing the bullet was traveling ~ 2850. I've shot deer with that combo before and it usally exits - especially dead broadside with no shoulders involved.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.