Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am mystified by the difficulty some folks have had killing animals with a 270 Winchester. I have had "zero" problems.I think the reason is that,almost from the start back in the 70's,I have fed 270's nothing but Partitions and Bitterroots.I have some recovered BBC's back here from 270's that killed game,that have broader frontal areas, and more retained weight,than 180 gr bullets fired into game from a 300 magnum....I don't give a flying rats ass about how good a bullet looks on a ballistic chart....I want to know results in an animal.I have noticed that if I use a bullet fully capable of reliably expanding,punching through a chest cavity and destroying vitals,and retaining enough weight to reliably break up bones on the offside,animals simply die.

All I know is I have never had these "mysterious" difficulties killing anything with a 270 at any distance or circumstance I have bumped into using these bullets.So I simply do not understand when a guy says a 270 sucks, but a 30/06 or 280 is hell on wheels.....I wonder if we hunt on the same planet for the same animals.

How do we reconcile this with notions of little does shrugging off hits from a 270?

Here's the dirty little secret to killing game with a 270....use good bullets, and put them in the right place.

[Linked Image]

I've never understood the issue myself. I killed my first deer with a 270 with factory ammo in 1984 and it dropped so fast I thought I missed. I've been sold on it since and put quite a few other deer in that great clover field in the sky. Out of the dozens I've shot with it, the only deer going more than a few steps were my fault on where I shot it...MY fault..not the cartridge or bullet. I always scratch my head when I hear of some who have had problems putting deer down with it...