Originally Posted by doubletap
[/quote]
That reminds me of my last guided hunt. The first thing the guide said to me was "Can you walk?".

When I went to Africa in 2005 my list of animals put me in Zimbabwe for a week, then to a property in Kwa Zulu-Natal for 5 days, then to another property in the Free State for 5 days.

When my PH and I arrived at the KZN property, my PH told the old (my age) Zulu tracker that lived on that property that I wanted to hunt a Nyala. The old Zulu then pointed at me and asked "Can he walk?"

As to the original question of this thread, my choice of bullets for elk from a .308 would be a 168 gr TSX, if it was accurate in my rifle. It is also my bullet of choice for elk from my .300 Weatherby.

If you handload, Barnes data shows most 168 gr loadings at 150-200 fps faster than 180 gr loadings, which would give the 168 gr a little flatter trajectory. Both bullets should expand to about the same diameter mushroom and should easily penetrate into an elk's vitals. Pick the one that is most accurate in your rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member