Originally Posted by SU35
The .30 220 NP will out penetrate anything coming out of the 338.

My favorite 30 cal bullet for heavy stuff...

I also love my 338/06.. since it is pretty much a handloaders cartridge, one can tailor the recoil factor by matching your needs with adequate MV...

one doesn't need a premium bullet in the 338/06...of course it doesn't hurt either...

I load mine as a step up from the 06...but I shoot everything from 180 to 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2200 to 2400 on the light end, with a charge of 30 to 35 grains of SR 4759..which is light recoiling with that small of a charge of powder... to the same bullets with a heavy charge of H 380 of 60 to 65 grains...running 200 grainers past 2900 fps with a charge of IMR 4895 right out of Hornady's manual...

the 225 grainers see use in mine a lot with various charges or MVs in the 2200 to 2750 fps range...

to the heavy end...250 grain RN Hornady bullets with a charge of IMR 4064 that will run 2650 fps out of the Model 70s barrel..100 fps faster than the manual states it should be running... but I just smile and don't worry about it...

its as flexible a round as the old 06 ever was...

loading it to the specs of the old 33 Winchester, which P.O. Ackley gave good comments on it's capability, and it is easy to shoot...still giving good range performance with the ballistic tips...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez