We live in good times now. I use both tarp and tent but if I had to choose one alone I'd go for the double wall tent. A lot of that has to do with range of weather we get in the midwest and the bugs, including chiggers. You can now get a decent size two person tent at four lbs without breaking the bank. That'll have enough room to put wet gear in the vestibule and room to sit around a bit. Fifteen years ago, approaching that weight meant a non freestanding high low hoop tent like the Sierra Designs Flashlight. (Still a good design but not a good place for two guys to try and sit and play cards during a rainstorm or a long fall night.)
Tipis and tarp tents do give more space for weight but that weight advantage goes out the window if you're carrying a stove and jack. That fire really makes the weight worthwhile as the evening temperature drops. It's a morale booster not to huddle in your bag or wear all the clothes you own during the non-sleeping part of the evening. In a small tent, a tea candle lantern (make your own- it's lighter, smaller and works better- the same candle makes a good firestarter too)warms things up enough to help down to below ten or so.
I'm voting with KC. Usually, I just want to put up my tent and get ready to crawl in my bag.