if the young man is insistant on a 1911 for purely sentimental reasons, any one of them will work as long as it's a true 1911 design. if it's something that will become a way to famialarize himself with service weapons, stick to things more service related.

i was issued a handgun in the army. i had lots of experience beforehand. i learned more while in. the days of "here's your pistol, go qualify" are over. you are properly trained in your weapons platform these days. as previously noted, training is *always* better than buying a certain model. especially combat oriented training.

personally, i like springfield models. always have. i avoid colt. i can't afford kimber, wilson, or higher end dan wessons. i have shot all of them though, and noticed no real difference. if anything, it's always going to shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger.

also, can we avoid the dumbass snide remarks about the boy fighting for oil? i'm grateful to have another young man interested in standing up for what he believes in, regardless of the branch. i wish him well. you gotta be a proud daddy!

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?