Originally Posted by derby_dude
Surprisingly, the US web site is active.

If I was young, a rich man, and right handed I'd love to have a Rigby bolt action in .275 Rigby.

Almost 30 years ago, I hunted down the Rigby shop on Pall Mall in London, had a wonderful conversation with the gunsmith and storekeeper there in his oilcloth apron who emerged from his work on an almost finished rifle. I alluded to a nice rifle in the rack at the end of a short counter, and with a sparkle in his eye he told me to pick it up and examine it. It was a .275 Rigby, a Mauser, very nicely done but nothing extravagant, that is until he told me its story. "That's the Queen's rifle, sir, and she' fond of it," he said with a grin. He said each year after the stalking season she has in taken to the shop "to be looked after". It looked fine to me...

I don't remember his name, but he told wonderful stories of old man Rigby in World War II. When the frequent air raid sirens would summon the citizenry to the bunkers, he said the famous rifle maker would rush out the front door, grabbing a .416 bolt rifle and a handful of cartridges and cussing the Germans, and take his station in the middle of the street as a one man artillery battery.

It probably goes without saying (but I'll say it anyhow) that the .275 Rigby is simply the 7x57 in British dress. The Brits and especially Rigbys just couldn't bring themselves to stamp the barrels and make cartridges for a German nomenclature, hence renamed the cartridge.