It's been almost 15 months since I received my custom McHale backpack. I've been documenting my experience for others who may be interested in a truly custom pack.

The previous threads can be found at the following links:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4599504/1

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711125/4

Since receiving my pack I've been on roughly 40 day hikes and scouting trips, 3 multi-day backpack trips and 3 multi-day backpack bivy hunts.

This pack has met my expectations. Is it perfect? No. But it's as close as I have ever come in a pack. At last count I've used over a dozen different packs in the last 15 years. For the first time ever, when visiting REI, Cabelas, or Sportsmans Warehouse I walk right by the pack sections. I am satisfied! Well almost... smile

- The double waist belt straps are amazing! They were the first thing I noticed when I tried on the demo pack. It's surprising to me other manufacturer's don't do something similar.
- The ability to change the pack to match the trip. One Day Trips: Compress down, add water bottle pockets, leave by-pass straps, bayonets and any other unneeded accessories at home. Multi Day Trips: Expand bag, add top lid, put the by-pass straps and bayonets in, add hydration sleeve, put on waist belt pockets, good to go. One pack to cover all my outings.
- Pack durability has been outstanding. The bottom and back are showing no signs off wear after over 50 days in the field except for one issue listed below.
- The pack is extremely comfortable to wear. While I missed out on my muley this year, some of my trip loads have exceeded 50 lbs. I have tried it at home with 100 lbs loads, but 30 minutes around the house isn't quite the same as bringing that type of weight off a mountain. As such, the 100 lbs verdict is still out.
- Fit. This may go without saying since it is, after all, a custom pack, but the fit is the best I've had. The waist belt is the right diameter. The shoulder straps are the right length and width. The frame stays match my torso length and profile. Lumbar pads sits nicely into the small of my back. The pack just fits.
- The back pouch / pocket. This pocket has been great. Easily fits my 65mm spotter, tripod, and a hat and gloves. It also has a couple of small internal pockets at the top where I can store my wallet, keys, phone and flashlight. My most used gear in a location that's easy to get to.

Dislikes:
- Even though the pack is light for it's load hauling ability, I still wish it was a pound lighter. This was a compromise I settled on during the design. I could have gone with lighter fabric, but went with the 500d Cordura for durability.
- The white Dyneema and Spectra fabrics are not dye-able like standard nylons and polyesters. Dan uses a special process to get the colors you see on his website, but due to the fabric's characteristics it's not a completely permanent process. I've noticed the gray Dyneema panels on my pack have lightened up a few shades.
- This one isn't a dislike per se, but it makes the most sense to list it here. I was able to rub a small hole in the back Dyneema kangaroo pocket. I inadvertently placed the sharp corner of the tripod adapter plate on the bottom of my spotting scope in a position where it could rub against the riser of my bow. And it did just that for a couple of hours during a hike. The result was a small hole about the size of a pencil eraser. This would have happened to any fabric, but it did shatter my misconception that Dyneema was "bulletproof".

Last edited by russ_outdoors; 02/11/12.