Originally Posted by Mike70560
There are some good operators listed above. Zimbabwe offers some very good buffalo hunting with maybe the best value of any country. Martin Pieters is listed a couple of times. I will be making my third hunt with him next April. I have also hunted with Mokore Safaris and can recommend either without hesitation. I will eventually hunt with Buzz Charlton (C-M Safaris), Thierry Labait (Zambezi Hunters), Ross Johnston (HHK), and Cliff Walker (Walker Watson). The 5 main PHs on bubye Valley Conservancy are all good, as are many of the operators on the Save.

You can do better than the operator and area that Cabela's markets for Zim. My best advice for booking a hunt in Zim is to book with a reputable long term Zimbabwe outfitter. Ask for his HOP number. Make 100% certain the PH is licensed in Zimbabwe.

Only Zimbabwean citizens can become professional hunters in Zimbabwe, a foreign licensed PH, MAY NOT under any circumstances hunt for reward or act as a professional hunter or guide in ZImbabwe, they MAY NOT use for reward their personal foreign licensed vehicle, they MAY NOT carry a firearm unless they have paid a daily rate as an observer and they are included on the TR2 a Zimbabwean hunting document.

Be vary wary of outfitters offering hunts in Matetsi areas. Unit 1 (Mabal'engwe) is good and Unit 3 (HHK) is good. Unit 7 is photographic, Unit 6 is run by General and Mrs. Chiwenga (US Banned List), Unit 2 is a total mess with two opposing factions claiming rights, Units 4 and 5 are hit and miss. Gwaii (Gwaye) is off limits for US citizens. Ration quota is not exportable, regardless of what some operators claim, PAC hunts are illegal, and hunting in any National Park is illegal and unethical.

Book with a reputable Zim operator and you will not worry about any of the above issues.

Eventually I will hunt in Zambia. Muchinga is high on my list. I believe all of the GMAs will be go to bid this year and there could be some changes in areas for some operators.

A non citizen may be a licensed Zim PH if he was licensed prior to the rule change. I know at least one S African who's fully licensed in Zim and works there every season.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.