Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Some interesting comments/perspectives.
I admit, I did have to take a few breaths and not just 'react'. A child (for those that don't have them) have the ability to 'put things into perspective' like nothing else in life. I'm a much better man since he was born. A little more info. I'm the type of person that thinks the punishment should fit the crime. He obviously didn't mean to trash all the food. What he did was turn off the fridge/freezer when he shouldn't have messed with it at all. For doing that, he got fussed at and had to assist with the clean up on just the part he could reach (bottom of the fridge). Daddy (and Mommy) was traumatized enough for all three of us already. No need to make it unanimous. I'm pretty sure the appliance thankfully is not ruined. It's in the basement garage which stays cool and obviously it's winter. After some hot water, two rolls of paper towels and plenty of 409, it's fine. If the experience 'lingers', it's way over due to be replaced. The smell was far from a spring morning but it was tolerable. I guess it depends on your perspective.
He understands the loss that was caused by his actions. For a kid that doesn't like getting his hands dirty, sopping up that gallon of blood and wiping it down will stick. The meat got rinsed and repackaged and stuck back in the freezer to await this week's garbage pick up.

I always 'try' and look for the silver lining, and the one that hit me pretty quick was... Thank God he didn't remember about the fridge and turn it back on before I had noticed it. That next meal might have had some REAL interesting aftermath!

Somebody mentioned they were surprised he could even find the switch. That kid has found controls and features on all the electronics in the house and even the vehicles that we didn't even know existed since he was 4 or 5!

Oh yeah, the person who suggested only salad until next year... THAT would be by FAR his biggest nightmare. I'm pretty sure he'd starve to death. Like father like son on that one for sure... grin

And for those who made comments about the joy of not having the 'trouble' of kids, I'd clean that fridge out every single day in the heat of July and double on weekends if it meant I could stop time with him. It's just all part of the journey guys, and I wouldn't miss a step. wink He's our miracle son and we are enternally greatful beyond compare. Thank you again Lord.... yes, even for this. smile

Well said, well done!