I have chronographed a lot of factory ammo. Some reaches the specified velocities (especially the newer ammo), but most of the older ammo doesn't.

Ammo companies do their load development and spec ammo in custom barrels. Production rifles generally have generous chambers and barrel dimensions, so don't reach the factory specs. Some ammo isn't even close. I chronographed some Winchester .270 130 grain silver tips that averaged 2,500 fps. on two different chronographs.

I have found that most 7mm magnum and .300 Winchester magnum ammo is in the neighborhood of 150-200 fps slower than advertised (6+ year old Federal and Winchester). Remington seems to come pretty darn close and even exceed most factory rated velocities. Across the board, Federal ammo seems to fall short more than any other I have chronographed.

There really isn't any bad ammo out there now. Ammo makers have really stepped up their game. They know we watch them and talk about them more than ever. laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.