http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/FeralHogs/02-History.htm
<br>
<br>Russian boars in Oklahoma.
<br>
<br>�Today, there are areas in the U.S. where the pure Russian wild boar (native to European and Asian continents) can still be found due to importation for sport hunting.�
<br>
<br>http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/feral/feral-6.htm
<br>
<br>Native European and Asian boars in Texas.
<br>
<br>�The Denman releases along the central Texas coast are probably the best known in Texas. In about 1930 - 1933 the first known importations of European wild boars were recorded when approximately eleven were obtained from the San Antonio zoo and escaped or were released near Austwell in Aransas county. An additional 10-15 were released in 1939 between Port O'Conner and Seadrift in Calhoun county. They readily crossed with domestic or feral hogs (Mayer and Brisbin 1991). The next reported release of European hogs occurred in the early 1940 when a rancher in northwest Bexar county purchased several from a traveling zoo and consequently released them into the wild. Following a fence - destroying flood which allowed the animals to escape into the surrounding areas of eastern Medina and southern Bandera county, these hogs also readily bred with free ranging domestic hogs (Mayer and Brisbin 1991).�
<br>
<br>"Christopher Columbus is originally credited with bringing the first hogs to the New World when he brought eight to the West Indies in 1493."
<br>
<br>"Hogs have been around Texas for many centuries but have increased substantially in the last few decades."
<br>
<br>
<br>This is Bexar county where I'm at, Medina and Bandera county are neighboring counties. That flat long one I took a picture of is from northwest Bexar county a few years ago now. He's probably a decendent of that release mentioned in the quote from the web page and Texas A&M conference above. I think he'll go more than 16 inches, especially when you add on for the part that was cut off of the back of his skull.
<br>
<br>When exotics were being developed in Texas they had to live in quarentine in zoo like conditions. Then only their healthy offspring could be taken or released from quarentine.
<br>
<br>We can hunt wild boars year round, day and night, over bait, with spotlights, i.e. 365 days a year just about anyway you want, and there are still about 1 million of them in this state.
<br>
<br>