Originally Posted by jpb
Jason,

If I might bother you a bit more...

I see from the exif info that this is a 400mm lens. Would I be correct in assuming (from the image quality) that this is one of Canon's "L series" lenses?

It seems that many times when I notice a really sharp photo, it turns out to have been taken with one of those damn "L series" lenses.

If I "cheaped out" and bought something else I think I would regret it... so I keep saving my money rather than buy a "non-L" lens. frown

John

No bother sir...Yes, it was taken with one of those damn "L" lenses; the Canon 400mm f/5.6L to be exact. I bought it used for around a grand. Don't let the L thing get you down. I have a buddy I go bird shooting with that uses a Sigma 50-500 lens (AKA Bigma) and he usually get as good or better shots than I do. Sigma and Tamron have some very good long glass. I've been saving for the Canon 500mm L for a while and recently I've actually considered getting a Sigma 300-800 due to the HUGE price difference. While I have several L lenses, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes for that extra several hundred dollars, all you get is white paint and the reaction of people saying, "Is that an L?".

Last edited by jasontx; 02/26/12.