HillBilly I am not as fast as I used to be 20 years ago but some things are slower than I. Visited a collector wink this morning who asked not to be identified. He did not have the OVS engraved on the receivers of the 1896 Mausers as I thought he may have. However he knew about it and said the Martini Henry also had it that was made on order for the ZAR (Zuid-Afrikaanshe Republiek) South African Republic government.

He had a heck of a lot of very interesting stuff of which there were one or two he asked me not to take pictures of.

However here are a few pics of rifles from the Anglo Boer War (1899 - 1902). First Anglo Boer War was 1880 - 1881. I remembered to ask.

[Linked Image]

Above: An old flint lock original in absolute mint condition, just for the heck of it and was not used in the ABW.

[Linked Image]

Above: One of more than 10 Martini Henry's in the collection.

[Linked Image]

Above: The Mauser that belonged to Genl Beyers in almost mint condition.

[Linked Image]

Above: I cannot remember the details or even begin to translate the side loading mechanism. Anybody please do an English on this version. Below is a second picture.

[Linked Image]

Above: Loading mechanism open.

[Linked Image]

Above: A battle we would sooner forget. Most of the SA POW's were deported to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) where they had to stay busy. JZ Venter would have done the carvings with a pocket knife for the Tommy owner of that rifle. The following picture is the reverse side of the same rifle and that's how I know Venter carved it!

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/HPIM0287.jpg[/img]

Above: The other side of the stock.

Due to many reasons I will hopefully have more pictures in the next few days.