Originally Posted by Old_Writer
The top gun is a standard .38/200 (.38 S&W) of WWII vintage. Because of the urgency to get guns into the hands of troops the finish on these guns wasn't up to Webley's usual standard, hence they were marked as "war finish".

The second revolver looks to be a transitional Webley-Pryse type (early style frame but with later thumb release as found on Mk 1 - VI revolvers) or perhaps a very early Webley Greene.

The holster has an RAF badge on the flap; for no particular reason-- perhaps it's the nickle finish?-- the combination of the two suggests service in India.

I think you�re spot on. The back half of the gun is pure Webley-Greene, and the front half is Webley-Pryse. So that makes it some sort of transitional gun. If I had to guess, it would be an early Webley Greene. I wonder if the gun has a rebounding hammer; that was the big piece that Greene brought to the Webley design. I don�t think the Pryse revolvers had a rebounding hammer, so that one issue could potentially settle the matter. The Pryse guns are typically worth about $1,000 more than the Greene�s, but this one is a little of both so who knows.

Typical of the time, the gun was purchased by the individual officer, so I�m sure the gentleman who bought it simply went to his favorite outlet, hefted a few guns, and settled on this one; without any further thought.