Black Diamond "boundary" 2-piece ski poles are cheap and tough.

A pole's worst enemy is you, heavily loaded, on a moraine. If you stumble forward and your pole's in front of you wedged in a crack between rocks, it breaks. Two seasons ago I showed up at the airstrip with two stumps for poles, both of which broke a foot or so above the basket in similar incidents. The little stubai extendo-axes are vulnerable to the same. This year I took a 100cm ice axe by SMC and it was the tool of tools for walking, peace of mind on steep stuff (arresting), and for carving out campsites on moraine.

SMC is the only outfit I could find that would make one longer than 90cm, and they do it by special order only. They won't go longer than 100cm - I wanted 105 or 110. I was out a little over $100 for it, but I split shipping with a friend who got one as well.

What they need to do is market a "walking axe" that's not subject to whatever load ratings and specs that an ice axe is. Said walking axe would have a smaller pick and a less aggressive adze, as that would be a bit safer for carrying around the whole time. Offer them in 90, 100, and 110cm and I bet they'd sell.