You might be mistaking for fact, printed assumptions on data from the 60's as being hard science...they are not necessarily so. It is fact that numbers were compiled. It is also fact that these numbers were crunched from much lesser data available to the citing biologist into the now well used models somewhere around 1988 to 1990, many years later.

Fast forward to the mid 70's. As time marched on from statehood, increasing populations of hunters came into play. New data was needed to better understand the moose population's relationship to new pressures- automobile strikes, many more consumptive users, a viable railroad booming with newfound customers, and the like. Predator information had always been a factor, though not as forefront in the news as it is today.Of course, good scientific information regarding predators didn't show up until the 70's. There was also the pressure given by the constitution to manage for MSY. Read as "political pressure from above." Things were changing quickly.

Others here have given you what you you might consider anecdotal information. What that means is "not scientifically" formulated...simply observed. What is fact is that population densities and carrying capacity for the unit 14 herds were "estimated" from statehood through the 60's and early 70's, then built by todays current practices and model. When a comment like "The best data/information available at the time was utilized" comes to print, one must understand what is being said. I can understand your acceptance as "fact" as what has been printed. It was "fact" that prompted scientific men of the day to document their observations as "fact" on the notion of "spontaneous generation."

You claim as one of your bonofides "hunting in Alaska for over 4 decades." If this is true (I have no reason to doubt this, though you might want to update your web-site) you will remember that the population of Anchorage, Wasilla, and Mat/Su in the pre-quake days were less than 50 thousand souls. The number of consumptive user man-hours to bag a moose was far less than currently required. The number of moose taken was as many as 4 times greater in peak years in the 1960's than is currently managed for on the low end, over twice on the high end. Also fact.

I was rather dissappointed in the manner you chose to hold discourse with people here at the 'fire. At first I reasoned another professional here might allow for more information of the "positive kind" to leach out to the masses. I realize that my opinion and three bucks might buy you a cup of Joe at one of the little stands downtown. Right now that opinion suggests you are a condesending, arrogant ass and need go on ignore.
What that means is that "you are a condesending, arrogant ass and need go on ignore."

Have a nice day!!!!

Last edited by bearhuntr; 03/04/12. Reason: forgot to add "Have a nice day!!!!"

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters