+1 on the jig and bobber. It is probably the easiest rig to get results with. When someone goes fishing with me that is new to steelhead, we bobber/jig exclusively.

With a bobber/jig, remember to get the jig up off the bottom. If your jig is bumping bottom, its most likely under the fish. Shorter your leader and you might start getting strikes. I prefer a fixed float rather than a slider when fishing shallower water because it keeps the whole rig clean. I'll use a lighter float (1/4 oz) usually with no other weight than the 1/8 oz jig.

My most effective colors are "nightmare" which is white head with black and red maribou, or some combo of pink. Get some live sandshrimp and tip the jig with a tail and it can coax a strike when others can't buy a bite.

Remember to mend your line (a longer rod really helps) and keep your drift natural. Your float will tell you what your drift is doing. If the tip points downstream, you're dragging your bait. If it leans upstream, you're not allowing it to flow with the current and your bait is probably riding up because of it.

Hope this helps.