Originally Posted by rob p
October Recipe Duck911

But the Chili was UNBELIEVABLE!

It was a wholesome, think, beef chili. BEEF, and CHILI. And the beef was smokey, charred, tasty stuff, not ground beef.

First, the real secret is to grill the beef. I use london broil or top round, but the truth of the matter is, just about any steak works because it gets cooked down and tenderized in the chili. I made this with a tri-tip roast last spring and it was fantastic.

All measurements approximate, and to taste:

2-3 lbs seasoned grilled beef, cubed into 1/2" chunks
3 cans beef broth
1 diced white onion
3 to 4 crushed cloves fresh garlic (to taste)
5 T. (regular) Chili powder
2-3 T. Ancho Chili powder
1 t. smoked paprika (important to get the smoked paprika!)
1/2 t. (regular) paprika
2 t. cumino
1 1/2 t. oregano
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

That's it! Add the beef and all ingredients and boil down until the desired thickness is reached. If the chili reduces before it's come together and the beef is tender, add a touch of water and continue to boil. I have also crock-potted this all day while at work and it worked well too.

Enjoy

Great job of putting all the recipes together, Rob... you ARE "da man"!!!

I fancy myself a "chili expert" and when I looked at this (see above) chili recipe, the first thing that "hit" me was there was NO MENTION of GARLIC in the ingredients list for this "chili"... and only one little ol' onion in "2-3 lbs" of meat.

I'm not suggesting the author is wrong, I'm merely questioning how it could be THAT "good" and not have garlic or "enough" onions in the chili !

I can see that grilling the meat would have a tasty effect on the chili's flavor, but in my mind, a Pot-O-Red can't be MADE without PLENTY of onions and lotsa garlic.

Is it possible you may have forgotten to put the garlic in the ingredients list, Rob?

HELP !~!~! smile

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...