I have a license to hntin the State forests here. Most of the game is smallish; rabbits, foxes, goats, the very odd pig, wild dogs and every blue moon a deer wanders in, usually fallow which are a reasonably light bodied animal.

Rather than be overgunned in thsoe forests which don't usually see deer, I plan to use my 223. I wouldn't want to pass up a shot on a deer if a suicidal one wandered my way.

60Gn Partitions were the first thing I thought of, then 70Gn Speers. The Swift Sirocco 75Gn also sounds good.

I would probably shoot mainly 55Gns bullets and carry a few heavy bullet loads in my pocket.

The WInchester Law Enforcement Ranger 223 ammo has a 60Gn Partition and this ammo is not much dearer that the bullet costs. When I got the rifle I was given a heap of ammo with target bullets, all 69gns or heavier and the rifle liked them.

I had a box of 223 American Eagles (55Gn) the rifle didn't like these at all, spat out a 2 1/2" group!

I think if the 60Gn partitions work I might just use these for everything and leave the 55Gn bullets for my 222 and 22/250 Remington 788s.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 03/27/12.

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.