That is a tough nut to safely crack with open flame heat sources. A ceiling vent sounds good, but some gases are heavier than air and settle rather than rise. The other issue is combustion typically generates water as well as carbon dioxide or monoxide. The monoxide form has a nine times greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen. That being, it's more rapidly absorbed and much harder to get rid of. Mean while it's taking up space normally reserved for oxygen in ones system. If one comes down with a headache, get the hell out of there now.

A buddy has done a similar conversion on the cheap with an enclosed cargo trailer, and does the heat just before bed and at rise and shine time. Still between the heater, and his breathing, the interior is a damp/humid place, and it's difficult to dry things out. A fan might help, but again he is going on the cheap.

In the two instances I've shared camp with this person, I sleep comfortably and safely in my two man tent and I have no plans to change.

To be able to sleep and function without worry, one should secure some sort of a vented system if combustion is involved. We are after all out there to have fun. Relaxing and simultaneously worrying about one's atmosphere, do not go hand in hand. There's also the issue of leaving someone in camp that's not schooled up on the intricacies of survival in a death trap. I for one do not want to count on detectors or batteries to keep me alive. Life is short enough, and I have a sh-tload of stuff left to do.

Try to be safe, not just get by. Those that have failed in this endeavor, do not often log in.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/27/12.

1Minute