Most of hunters i know there (not a lot) use over under but lots of european (continental) hunters come to Eire to hunt woodcocks, lots of french and italians. Most of them use doubles but some come with the same shotgun they use at home for the game.
Could be a Benelli Becaccia, a 121SL80, a Beretta or Browning with 61 to 66cm barrel (24 to 26inches)and open choke.

I never heard of any problem with hunting rights owners, guides or peoples met while hunting with semi auto me included.

I know and i've seen hunters with such shotgun be far more ethic and respectful(killing less each day and during the whole trip) than some with nice side lock doubles who come there to kill more than they are allowded in their own country (particulary for woodcocks).

Where i go (south of country, close to Cork)you can hunt pheasant only roosters, woodcocks, snipes, wood pigeons, some hares.
If you're in right time you can use rifle to hunt roes and sikas. In some parts there are also good hunting opportunities for wild goats and red deers.

Firearms must be declared before entering the country, papers to fill but easy to do. Just ask your guide, friend who as hunting rights or travel agency to send you documents.

Enjoy your trip, drink some Guinness stout beer. Irish are nice people and country beautiful.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)