I've only owned one Ruger auto and that was the standard, fix sighted gun that I paid $37.50 for..... I've owned an SS Convertible with adjustable sights since 1972. I've had the pleasure of shooting lots of the later Ruger autos as well.
A good, semi auto Ruger will often shoot like a rifle accuracy wise. Even with iron sights, groups running an inch at 25 yds. are common. I've seen groups on the order of 1-1.5 inches at 50 yds. on scope sighted Ruger autos.
My SS convertible, with ammo it likes, CCI's, puts all six .22 RF Magnums into two inches at 25 yds., iron sights. The other clynder does a bit worse than that.
I've shot lots of small game with both the .22 LR and the .22 RFM. I have a strong perference for the magnum round since I'm an iron sights, body shooter sort of small game hunter. That and I appreciate the much better penetrating ability of the 40 gr. HP magnum ammo for larger stuff.
On the other hand, if you want to scope it and try for head shots, etc, the auto would be my choice. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/06/12.