I have to say I agree with 458 Lott's post for the most part.

The PAST shooting gloves are good, but they have a seam across the palm that digs into my hand, so I switched to Uncle Mike's shooting gloves for heavy revolver work because the palm is one one piece. Might be worth knowing that.

Limiting your exposure to full power Heavy loads is a really good idea. On a typical range session with the Heavies, I will start with a few cylinders of standard power loads to warm up, then some "warm" loads, then shoot a predetermined number of cylinders of Heavy loads. After that, I'll go back to some standard power loads to finish out the session.

When I was shooting a LOT of Heavy .44 Mag and .45 Colt loads, I' be able to shoot a dozen cylinders of the Heavies at a single session at most. Since I don't shoot them as much now, I'll typically limit my exposure to the noxious stuff to 3 or 4 cylinders of Heavies at the most.

As for what kind of bullet you need for what kind of game, I think 458's numbers are a bit high for most hunting. John Linebaugh has said or written more than a few times that there is nothing in North America other than the great bears that you can't kill with a 45 Colt shooting a 260 gr cast bullet at 950 fps. A lot of other experienced handgun hunters like Paco Kelly (who has killed black bear and zebra with the load Linebaugh mentioned), John Taffin, and others have said they've done more or less the same thing. Most of my handgun-killed game has fallen to a 300 or 325 gr bullet at 1200-1300 fps, though, but I've had the sense that I'm using way more power than I need. The last couple of whitetails I shot with my .45 succumbed to a 265 bullet bumbling along at 925 fps and they were just as dead as all the others.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars