Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Taking my 7mag, 3021 fps, 200 yd zero, 168gr VLD Hunting, 1000 ft elevation I show a drop @ 500 yds of 34.1", at 7000 ft elevation @ 500 yds jbm shows a drop of 32.5". It appears almost irrelevant me, but I may be missing something.

You're not. There are several reasons that BDC turrets might not be the best choice for true LR work but sub 600 and one load/one rifle isn't it.

The biggest problem with the popularity of BDC turrets/reticles is that a great many believe they are all they need to kill reliably out to whatever marked range without actually learning to use them correctly or even learning how to shoot correctly.

That was my initial reaction too; 500 yards isn't yet to the range that the little tiny stuff starts mattering-- or at least that's my experience. But I'm not really qualified to say it. So I'm glad to see it said by someone who is.

I think folks would be:

A) pleasantly surprised how easy it is to become reasonably proficient out to 500 yards, given decent gear and a good rifle, and;

B) very UNpleasantly surprised at how squirelly chit gets out past 625, 650 yds or so. There's a real line in the sand there- again, in my fairly limited experience.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!