There are only a few reasons I wish I was still actively shooting, hunting and writing gunny articles.

The first reason is that I would surely love to test and work with the Nosler brass. I have heard nothing but rave reviews; and that from writers and hunters whose opinions I fully trust. The Nosler brass simply MUST be great stuff.

Some might remember that I recently bought a Ruger Number One Light Sporter (1-KA) Stainless in .257 Roberts. It is a gorgeous little rifle and probably my last.

I've not actively written for five years now, except for two little book thingies, so the folks at Nosler have probably, and quite rightly, forgotten about me. Anyway, I don't feel free to call them up and ask them for some brass ... because I can no longer do them any good in print. That's fair

That being probably true, I fully planned to buy 200 or 250 Nosler .257 Roberts cases for my new Lil' Darlin'. Amazing thing here, a gun writer who will actually pay money for components (that have been free for the last 20 years).

Would you believe that there are absolutely NO .257 Roberts Nosler-brand cases to be had???? I was really disappointed.

So, I ordered 250 virgin Winchester cases.

In the meantime, one of the GREAT 24HCF members sent me a bag of 40 Winchester .257 Roberts cases and that will surely get me started. He also sent me a set of Bonanza dies and a couple hundred bullets. Gene, again, my sincere thanks ... I am not used to folks sending me gifts, it always has gone the other way, with me helping kids. Anyway, thanks.

The second reason I kinda wish I was still an active hunter, shooter and writer is because of one cartridge. After several hundred thosand rounds, I settled on the .223 as my varmint and predator cartridge. The reason? It just plain worked.

The .17 was a pain in the ass to load. And that's true. When I wrote that in an article, the small-bore mavens came out of the woodwork. For prairie dog use, when a guy is shooting 500, 600, 700 and occasionally 800 rounds a day, the .17 just never cut it for me.

Today, we have the .204. I have never fired one, it came after I walked away from the insults of writing, but I REALLY BELIEVE that the .204 shows the promise of being the ultimate prairie dog and predator cartidge.

I really, really wish the .204 had been out when I was actively shooting and writing.

I always had the inkling that the .223 and .223 Ackley was maybe a scosh too large. Don't get me wrong, I love the .223/.223 Ackley but that doesn't negate the fact that the .204 might be better.

Today, I have several .223 and ,223 Ackley rifles and for a Schit-Hits-The-Fan cartridge, there is probably nothing better. When and if there is civil unrest in America and Obama's buddies, the Muslim Hoards, come marching down our road ... they will lose quite a few before this old fart dies.

Back to Nosler Brass ... folks I trust tell me that it is superb. Perhaps one day I will be lucky enough to find out for myself. Until then, I absolutely believe it is true.

Sorry to ramble on. This is a down day, a really sucky day. It's raining, I'm very, very tired and every one of my joints feel like intense tooth-aches. Extreme arthritis and old age are not for the weak at heart. I'm going to take a Vidodin or three and go to sleep in my chair now. grin

May God Bless You All,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397