.257 Roberts Fans,

It has been many years since I have shot a rifle because of numerous shoulder surgeries. There's a good chance I'll need two more. It seems I have a genetic predisposition to shoulder injury. As a result I am going to sell my Belgian Browning .338 Win Mag and Marlin Guide Gun because I cannot risk another surgery due to recoil. Hence, my purchasing a .257 Roberts.

It has been a long time since I have hand loaded anything. I anticipate hand loading for my new .257 Roberts. Accuracy is my primary concern. So help me out and provide your expert opinions on the .257 Roberts. Which bullet surrenders the best accuracy? Since I hunt the Rockies where shots can be long, I'd like to go heavy for caliber, say 110 grains and heavier. I like through-and-through wounds. That way if a deer doesn't drop where he stands, a lot of blood on the forest floor makes it easier for my aging eyes to follow.

Finally, are Sierra bullets still of good quality? I used to shoot then out of my .270 Win. I don't think I have ever had to shoot a second at a deer or 'lope.

Thanks so much,

R

Last edited by Raisuli; 05/25/12.