Kend, the pattern found in damascus steel results from different concentrations of carbon that form during the manufacturing process. It will restore naturally if the finish is done over. Two paths exist for this I'm told, but I've only seen it done by one version, browning. It was gunshow pick up that had been stripped completely to bright metal, an old Belgian Cape Gun of 16 Ga and .40-40 Maynard if memory serves.

It was a Lefaucheux with decent wood and was shipped to David Yale of SMT, Inc out in Colorado. It returned to the owner, a neighbor of mine as the single most gorgeous metal finish example I've ever seen. Soft pale light brown with all the damascus pattern brilliantly contrasting. As mentioned above, it was basically done in fashion similar to rust bluing but I do not know the particulars.

Contact David if you like, he does very good work.

J.David Yale
S.M.T., Inc.
5600 Sawmill Mesa Rd.
Delta, CO 81416
970-874-1088

Brief comment on the effect of restoring a firearm re: value. What you have will not bring great return on the market. The 1894 does have value in good condition, or might particularly appeal to you for personal reasons. Market value in New to Excellent condition - purchase price + cost of restoration will tell if it is worth the expense. 'Course some things transcend monetary evaluation....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with restoration of an old warhorse.

Given good clean bores you can shoot the gun safely with BP loads or Smokeless for black equivalent loads. Sherman Bell has done much work on this in Double Gun Journal...with pressure equipment...calibrated pressure equipment. The gun I referenced above gets shot often, and shoots well.

You do not want to shoot standard smokeless loads in the gun if for no other reason than it will likely, in time, leave the barrels loose on the breech face. Keep loads in context of pressures generated by BP loads and you'll go far with that ol' cannon.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/27/12.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain