Originally Posted by XL5
...The critical element in loading for long range accuracy is standard deviation of muzzle velocity. If you roll your own, the easiest way to monitor SD -- and the best way to QC your loads -- is to chronograph them. So owning a chrono is about accuracy. And success, provided you define 'success' as small groups at long range. I shoot over a chrono almost every time I shoot at paper, not out of curiosity, but to QC my work by monitoring my loads' SDs....

So, no, it's not just about curiosity. If you bought one just for bragging rights, that's hardly the chrono's fault...

That's your personal experience which I do not believe is shared by the majority of users. Most chrono owners do not shoot long range or attempt to develop and fine tune their loads for long range hunting or competition.

You haven't changed my view of chronos. I'm convinced that it's not about accuracy or success. I see their use as a way to satisfy personal curiosity. Most buy Chrony or Pact models which would not be at the top of anyone's list if absolute precision was required. I'd be inclined to buy one of Dr. Oehler's products if I wanted performance.

As far as that goes, if the shots are out by 30 or 40 fps, I doubt that it matters too much to the great unwashed. They're happy to see something on the display about their loads.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]