In the very few times that I have had stocks cut (rather than just buying one) I have first had a stock duplicated from the pattern using really really cheap wood, like cherry, or a very cheap piece of walnut.

Then glass bed the metal into the pattern and change anything that needed changing. Then use that glass beded pattern to cut the good piece of wood.

I think this is necessary becasue there are so many different variations of everything. A bit more expensive because you have to pay for two times through the duplicator. But if your using an expensive piece of wood its really the only way to go other than inletting it from the stick by hand.

For all of those left hand mausers coming into the US. You could do the same thing. Make a pattern stock off of your good classic stock using laminated cherry or a very cheap piece of walnut. Then glass bed the lefty into it. Rasp off the cheekpiece on the one side, and use some body putty and wood to put the same thing on the other side.

I once knew a guy with a brand new Krieghof Shotgun. He paid a lot of money for it. He didn't shoot it very well when he first bought it, so for a few times that he went to the sporting clays range he took a rasp with him. He was whittling away at that stock, and by the time he got it shooting like he wanted to it was full of auto body putty. He changed a lot about that stock. And then he had a new one cut with good wood. So its not impossible.