In a recent conversation I had with someone they mentioned that they were going to sell all of their rifles that were less than 50 years old and just hunt with ones that were at least 50 years old. At first this may sound a bit insane to think of but the more I think about it, it really isn't as far-fetched as it first appeared.

In this day in age of having the latest technology I thought it might be interesting to see what vintage center-fire rifles folks here still use and if such rifles would fufill all your needs for the hunting you do. Lets make the cutoff anything before the year 1960. This will make them about 52 years old.

I'll start with mine that fit that scenario. I won't include several rifles I have that are based on military Mausers and Springfields actions because they are heavily modified from their original condition.

Winchester Model 70 in 270 Win made in 1958
Winchester Model 94 in 30 WCF made in 1949
Colt Coltsman in 300 H&H made in 1959
Winchester Model 71 in 348 WCF made in 1948

I have to admit that these four would easily cover all the hunting I do or ever have done. It might not be as much fun as having all the latest goodies but it is certainly doable.

What about others of you?

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink