So here is my situation. Primarily a bow hunter that currently has the Alaskan guide pack that I picked up at the bargain cave a couple of years ago. Packed out an elk with no issues. But its heavy and was not what I wanted, I just can't say no to a good deal. But as a backpack bow hunter, we have a lot of gear and our bow is in our hands at all time. After the harvest, I like or think everyone should be using sticks to help stabilize their hike out over the rough terrain. You all know how tired you are and need the sticks to keep you from stumbling and fumbling. Its time to buy a new pack and I'm looking at all the high dollar ones and read your very informative threads.

To buy a pack that could haul out, or buy a good pack for hunting is my question. My last pack out went like this. After tagging I took my bow and started to head to the truck, only 3 miles to drop off my bow and switch out packs and use the hualer. No bid deal right. I would rather use sticks to help me walk out then to fall down with my bow in my hand. This was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. An extra trip to save my knees and protect my bow.

So in your opinion, taking out that I'm not going to be doing any billy goat hunting, would you spend the money on a new pack that has the capabilities of handling large loads, or spend the money on one that is lighter?